|Molecular weight||114,23 g/mol|
|storage conditions||20 °C|
|CoA / MSDS||Retrieve CoA|
Show Safety Data Sheet online
|Safety Data Sheet||according to Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (REACH)|
Classifications according to Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008.
|IDENTIFICATION OF THE SUBSTANCE/MIXTURE AND OF THE COMPANY/UNDERTAKING|
|Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture||Identified: Laboratory chemical|
|Uses advised against:||HPC Standards GmbH|
Am Wieseneck 7
Tel. +49 34291 3372-36
Fax. +49 34291 3372-39
|Emergency telephone number||HPC Standards Tel. +49 34291 3372-36 |
This number is only available during office hours.
|HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION||· 2.1 Classification of the substance or mixture · Classification according to Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008|
Skin Irrit. 2 H315 Causes skin irritation. STOT SE 3 H336 May cause drowsiness or dizziness.
|· 2.2 Label elements · Labelling according to Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 The substance is classified and labelled according to the CLP regulation.|
· Signal word Danger · Hazard statements H225 Highly flammable liquid and vapour. H315 Causes skin irritation. H336 May cause drowsiness or dizziness. H304 May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways. H410 Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects. · Precautionary statements P280 Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. P210 Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking. P301+P310 IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER/ doctor. P303+P361+P353 IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. P405 Store locked up. P501 Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local/regional/national/international regulations. · 2.3 Other hazards · Results of PBT and vPvB assessment · PBT: Not applicable. · vPvB: Not applicable.
|COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS||· 3.1 Chemical characterisation: Substances · CAS No. Description 111-65-9 n-Octane · Identification number(s) None · EC number: 203-892-1 · Index number: 601-009-00-8 · RTECS: RG 8400000|
|Molecular Weight (g/mol)||114.23|
|FIRST AID MEASURES||· 4.1 Description of first aid measures · General information: Immediately remove any clothing soiled by the product. · After inhalation: In case of unconsciousness place patient in recovery position for transport. · After skin contact: Immediately wash with water and soap and rinse thoroughly. If skin irritation continues, consult a doctor. · After eye contact: Rinse opened eye for several minutes under running water. · After swallowing: Rinse mouth. Do not induce vomiting. Call for a doctor immediately. · 4.2 Most important symptoms and effects, both acute and delayed No further relevant information available · 4.3 Indication of any immediate medical attention and special treatment needed No further relevant information available|
|FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURES|| 5.1 Extinguishing media · Suitable extinguishing agents: CO2, powder or water spray. Fight larger fires with water spray or alcohol resistant foam. · For safety reasons unsuitable extinguishing agents: Water with full jet · 5.2 Special hazards arising from the substance or mixture Formation of toxic gases is possible during heating or in case of fire. · 5.3 Advice for firefighters · Protective equipment: Wear self-contained respiratory protective device.|
|ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES|| 6.1 Personal precautions, protective equipment and emergency procedures Wear protective equipment. Keep unprotected persons away. · 6.2 Environmental precautions: Inform respective authorities in case of seepage into water course or sewage system. Do not allow to enter sewers/ surface or ground water. · 6.3 Methods and material for containment and cleaning up: Absorb with liquid-binding material (sand, diatomite, acid binders, universal binders, sawdust). Dispose of contaminated material as waste according to item 13. Ensure adequate ventilation. · 6.4 Reference to other sections See Section 7 for information on safe handling. See Section 8 for information on personal protection equipment. See Section 13 for disposal information.|
|HANDLING AND STORAGE|
|EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION|| Additional information about design of technical facilities: No further data; see item 7.|
· 8.1 Control parameters · Ingredients with limit values that require monitoring at the workplace: Not required. · Additional information: Lists used were valid at the time of SDS preparation.
· 8.2 Exposure controls · Personal protective equipment: · General protective and hygienic measures: Keep away from foodstuffs, beverages and feed. Immediately remove all soiled and contaminated clothing Wash hands before breaks and at the end of work. Avoid contact with the skin. Avoid contact with the eyes and skin. · Respiratory protection: In case of brief exposure or low pollution use respiratory filter device. In case of intensive or longer exposure use self-contained respiratory protective device. Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29 CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Use a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator if exposure limits are exceeded or if irritation or other symptoms are experienced · Protection of hands: The glove material has to be impermeable and resistant to the product/ the substance/ the preparation. Selection of the glove material on consideration of the penetration times, rates of diffusion and the degradation The protective gloves to be used must comply with the specifications of EC Directive 89/686/EEC and the related standard EN374
· Material of gloves Nitrile rubber, NBR · Penetration time of glove material The exact break through time has to be found out by the manufacturer of the protective gloves and has to be observed. · Eye protection:
Tightly sealed goggles
|PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES||· 9.1 Information on basic physical and chemical properties · General Information · Appearance: Form: Liquid Colour: Colourless · Odour: Petrol-like · Odour threshold: Not determined · pH-value: Not determined.|
· Change in condition Melting point/Melting range: -56.5 °C Boiling point/Boiling range: 126 °C
· Flash point: 12 °C
· Flammability (solid, gaseous): Not determined.
· Ignition temperature: 205 °C
· Decomposition temperature: Not determined.
· Self-igniting: Not determined.
· Danger of explosion: Product is not explosive. However, formation of explosive air/vapour mixtures is possible.
· Explosion limits: Lower: 0.8 Vol % Upper: 6.5 Vol %
· Vapour pressure at 20 °C: 15 hPa
· Density at 20 °C: 0.70252 g/cm³ · Relative density Not determined. · Vapour density Not determined. · Evaporation rate Not determined.
· Solubility in / Miscibility with water at 20 °C: 0.00007 g/l
· Partition coefficient (n-octanol/water): 5.15 LogP
· Viscosity: Dynamic: Not determined. Kinematic: Not determined. · 9.2 Other information No further relevant information available
|STABILITY AND REACTIVITY||· 10.1 Reactivity Stable under normal conditions. · 10.2 Chemical stability Stable under normal conditions. · Thermal decomposition / conditions to be avoided: Formation of toxic gases is possible during heating or in case of fire. · 10.3 Possibility of hazardous reactions No dangerous reactions known. · 10.4 Conditions to avoid Sources of ignition Heat. · 10.5 Incompatible materials: Strong oxidizing agents. · 10.6 Hazardous decomposition products: Formation of toxic gases is possible during heating or in case of fire.|
|TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION||· 11.1 Information on toxicological effects · Acute toxicity Based on available data, the classification criteria are not met. · LD/LC50 values relevant for classification: Inhalative LC50/4 h 118 mg/l (rat) · Primary irritant effect: · Skin corrosion/irritation Causes skin irritation. · Serious eye damage/irritation Based on available data, the classification criteria are not met. · Respiratory or skin sensitisation Based on available data, the classification criteria are not met. · CMR effects (carcinogenity, mutagenicity and toxicity for reproduction) · Germ cell mutagenicity Based on available data, the classification criteria are not met. · Carcinogenicity Based on available data, the classification criteria are not met. · Reproductive toxicity Based on available data, the classification criteria are not met. · STOT-single exposure May cause drowsiness or dizziness. · STOT-repeated exposure Based on available data, the classification criteria are not met. · Aspiration hazard May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways|
|ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION||· 12.1 Toxicity · Aquatic toxicity: EC50/48 h 0.38 mg/l (daphnia) · 12.2 Persistence and degradability No further relevant information available. · 12.3 Bioaccumulative potential No further relevant information available. · 12.4 Mobility in soil No further relevant information available. · Ecotoxicological effects: · Remark: Very toxic for fish · Additional ecological information: · General notes: Water hazard class 2 (German Regulation) (Assessment by list): hazardous for water Do not allow product to reach ground water, water course or sewage system. Danger to drinking water if even small quantities leak into the ground. Also poisonous for fish and plankton in water bodies. Very toxic for aquatic organisms · 12.5 Results of PBT and vPvB assessment · PBT: Not applicable. · vPvB: Not applicable. · 12.6 Other adverse effects No further relevant information available.|
|DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS|| 13.1 Waste treatment methods · Recommendation Must not be disposed of together with household garbage. Do not allow product to reach sewage system. · European waste catalogue Waste disposal key numbers from EWC have to be assigned depending on origin and processing.|
· Uncleaned packaging: · Recommendation: Dispose of in accordance with national regulations
|TRANSPORT INFORMATION||· 14.1 UN-Number · ADR, IMDG, IATA UN1262 · ADR 1262 OCTANES, ENVIRONMENTALLY HAZARDOUS · IMDG OCTANES, MARINE POLLUTANT · IATA OCTANES|
· 14.3 Transport hazard class(es)
· ADR, IMDG
· Class 3 Flammable liquids. · Label 3
· Class 3 Flammable liquids. · Label 3
· 14.4 Packing group · ADR, IMDG, IATA II
· 14.5 Environmental hazards: Environmentally hazardous substance, liquid; Marine Pollutant · Marine pollutant: No Symbol (fish and tree) · Special marking (ADR): Symbol (fish and tree)
· 14.6 Special precautions for user Warning: Flammable liquids. · Danger code (Kemler): 33 · EMS Number: F-E,S-E · Stowage Category B
· 14.7 Transport in bulk according to Annex II of Marpol and the IBC Code Not applicable.
· Transport/Additional information:
· ADR · Excepted quantities (EQ): E2 · Limited quantities (LQ) 1L · Transport category 2 · Tunnel restriction code D/E
· UN "Model Regulation": UN 1262 OCTANES, 3, II, ENVIRONMENTALLY HAZARDOUS
|REGULATORY INFORMATION||· 15.1 Safety, health and environmental regulations/legislation specific for the substance or mixture · Philippines Inventory of Chemicals and Chemical Substances Substance is listed. · Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances Substance is listed. · Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons Substance is not listed.|
· Directive 2012/18/EU · Named dangerous substances - ANNEX I Substance is not listed. · Seveso category E1 Hazardous to the Aquatic Environment P5c FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS · Qualifying quantity (tonnes) for the application of lower-tier requirements 100 t · Qualifying quantity (tonnes) for the application of upper-tier requirements 200 t · REGULATION (EC) No 1907/2006 ANNEX XVII Conditions of restriction: 3, 40 · 15.2 Chemical safety assessment: A Chemical Safety Assessment has not been carried out.
|OTHER INFORMATION||The above information is believed to be correct but does not purport to be all inclusive and shall be used only as a guide. The information in this document is based on the present state of our knowledge and is applicable to the product with regard to appropriate safety precautions. It does not represent any|
guarantee of the properties of the product. For lab use only!